Food Storage -Stock up # 1 (Basics in Building a Family Food Storage)




These pictures are from my food storage.

Emergencies often arise out of the blue and most of the times these unexpected  events can drain an individual's finances and suppress a family to seek help. As Latter Day Saints we are often reminded to keep 3, 6 months to a year supply of food, cash, medicine & water. As a member of the church, I have followed this important request and it has helped me to overcome many financial difficulties in my life...especially now after retirement. I try to keep my food storage filled at all times and with it I could sustain myself for at least 6 months. The only thing I need to replenish every month is paper products and fresh fruit & vegatables and fresh non dairy milk. I also keep a well supplied spice closet with an assortment of vinegrettes & oils. 
These are the Basic's for a Family Food Storage

1. Three to 6 months supply Food:

Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for 3 months. These items should be rotated regulary to avoid spoilage.

2. Drinking water:

Store drinking water for circumtances in which the water supply may be polluted or disrupted.  If water comes directly from a good, pretreated source then no additional purifcation is needed; otherwise, pretreat water before using (purification tablets). Store water in sturdy leak proof & breakage-resistant containers. Consider using plastic bottles commonly used for juices and soda. Keep water containers from heat or direct sunlight. This water is good to flush toilets, wash clothes & bathe. Store purfified bottled water or gallons for cooking & drinking.

3. Financial resourses:

Establish a financial reserve by saving a little money each week. Gradually increase it to a reasonable amount. Continue this procedure until you have enough to pay your bills for at least 3 months.

4. Longer term Supply:

For longer term needs, and where permitted, gradually build a supply of food that will last a long time and that you can use to stay alive, such as wheat, rice, & beans.  These items can last 30 years or more when properly packaged and stored in a cool, dry place. A portion of these items may be rotated in your three months supply.



I am happy to know that I am self relaint in case of an emerghency.

Start today...you'll be happy you did!

Food storage websites

Next post... Food Storage-Stock up #2
(a monthly list on how to stock up a good food storage.)

Comments

  1. You are just so brilliant and so organized, Millie! I love it!

    (Oh and a protein breakfast...sounds like quite a party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyn...thank you, you are so sweet. Eventhough my finances have really gone down through the years, I strive to keep my food storage filled. I try to follow this wise council from the church. It has been a great blessing for me especially now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent. sadly, I talked to something last week who felt there was no need to learn how to garden, preserve, or use wheat. How sad was that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan...That is sad...especially when we know hard times will come & go through our lives. Thank God I have a strong testimony of this revelation and it has been re-enforced every time I need to eat out of this reserve when my finances are low.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts