My Fresh Braided Bread

Braided French Bread

I am a sucker for bread. I could eat it with every meal. I can't remember the last time I purchased bread because I always try to make my own. I rarely make white bread but I really craved a piece of it. So I made a loaf, I cut it in about 7 pieces and I put them in the freezer for whenever I get those cravings again. It is delicious and very hard to stay away from.

This recipe does require shortening because bread does not taste good to me if there is no shortening in it. Shortening makes the bread smooth, fluffy and so desirable with some non-dairy butter melting all over it.

Here is my recipe:
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 fast rising yeast package
3 c. hot water
1/3 c. non- dairy butter
Shortening (about 3 or 4 T.)

In a small bowl pour yeast and 1 c. hot water, stir well and set aside until needed. In a large bowl pour flour, salt & sugar, mix well. Then add yeast mixture, butter & the rest of the hot water...if flour is not well mixed and it needs more water just add more hot water slowly to the mix, then add 3 large tablespoons of shortening, start kneading by hand, and as you knead sprinkle more flour & more shortening, knead well adding slowly sprinkled flour mixture if it's still sticky. Place flour dough in the floured bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let it sit for 1 hour. Then knead for about 5 more minutes. Set it back into the bowl and cover for another hour. Repeat the kneading 1 more time and then separate the dough into 3 pieces. Knead each piece for about 2 minutes and roll with both hands to make 3 long pieces. Then braid them to create a beautiful braided bread like the picture below. Smear more non-dairy butter on top and let it rise for 30 to 40 minutes, bake at 375 until golden brown...about 25 to 30 minutes.

Bread is ready for the oven

It was delicious with melted non-dairy butter.
ENJOY!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts