Sunday, March 13, 2011

My Three White Dresses




My Mom bought me a white dress,
Not red or pink or blue.
She said it was a special dress
Like very other few.

There has been just one before,
A dress now put away
That I wore sometime ago
Upon my blessing day.




As a little baby clothed
In my first white dress,
My Dad held me in his arms
There to name and bless.




So pure and clean was I just then
With time to grow and learn,
About my Father's plan for me
My glory I must earn.

Now I've reached the age to judge
The wrong road from the right,
And I am here to be baptized
In this dress of white.


So once again I'm free from sin
The path is clear to me,
I'll grasp the rod and hold on tight
I vow with certainly.

Just as mud would stain my dress
Sin would stain my soul,
The key is to repent or bleach
For whiteness is my goal.




And if I try my very best
Then richly blessed I'll be,
Wearing inside God's holy house
White dress number three.


(my son & his wife after their temple wedding)


So today I make this holy pledge
I'll strive to choose the right,
Through this sacred baptismal ordinance
In my second dress of white.


(my grand-daughter before her baptism)


3 comments:

  1. then there is always that last dress of white when we leave this frail existence. Just said goodbye to my uncle dressed in his white temple clothes-so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard this poem before and have always liked it but your beautiful photos made it all the more special. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete