Monday, January 17, 2011

Emergency H.E.L.P at your Fingertips

The American College of Emergency Physicians & The American Association of Poison Control Centers

issued this handy information for everyone in our town to have. My copy hangs on my refrigerator and if you do not have one of these flyer's...make a copy of this one and hang it on your refrigerator.

This could save your children's lives and anyone in your family.


EMERGENCY ACTION FOR POISONING:

Inhaled Poison

Immediately get the person to fresh air.

Avoid breathing any fumes.

Open doors and windows wide.

If the victim is not breathing, call 911 and start artificial respiration.


Poison on the Skin...

Remove contaminated clothing and flood skin with water for 10 minutes.

Wash gently with soap and water then rinse well.


Poison in the Eye

Flood the eye with lukewarm (not hot) water poured from a large glass 2 or 3 inches from the eye.

Repeat for 15 minutes.

Have patient blink as much as possible while flooding the eye.

Do not force the eyelids open.


Swallowed Poison

Medicines: Do not give anything by mouth until you have called for professional advise.

Chemicals or household products:  Unless patient is unconscious,  having convulsions, or cannot swallow- give milk or water immediately then call for professional advise about whether you should make the patient vomit or not.

Always keep on hand at home a one ounce bottle of SYRUP OF IPECAC for each child or Grandchild in the home.  Use only on advise of poison control center, emergency department or physician.

And teach your children why & when they should call 911

1 comment:

  1. I think I DO need to take a first aid course just to refresh!

    ReplyDelete