Thursday, May 20, 2010

Garage Sale Finds & a Great Restoration


This wooden elephant is one of the pieces I have collected in wood for the past 15 years in which I absolutely adore. This piece cost me only $10.00 dollars at a local garage sale and it is a beautiful piece that decorates my living room very well. This elephant is in mint condition and it is very heavy because it is carved out of a solid piece of wood. I buy only wood or organic decor....sorry guys... I DO NOT like ceramics.


These mirrors were all bought in garage sales..from .50 cents to $2.00 dollars each.


This cabinet was really bad when I purchased it and as most people couldn't see the beauty I saw behind all the dirt and chipped paint, I brought it home for $2.00 dollars.  This cabinet is now in my bathroom, holding all my medical supplies. After giving it a good hand wash with soap & bleach, it came out great. Then I rubbed it with a rag with some cream, tan and chocolate brown paint. Then I took some chocolate paint to details the trims and then I mixed some brown paint with water to create a dirty brown wash. I rubbed that wash all over the cabinet giving it an old antique look. I then hand painted the ugly dingy handles with silver leaf and then I coated them with clear nail polish to protect the paint from chipping. It came out beautiful and I am super happy with the results for only $3.50 with paint supplies.


Here is a closer look at the cabinet finish.


Here are some pictures I picked up at some garage sales that now found a home in my kitchen.
This picture cost me nothing...I picked it up in the street, I gave it a good cleaning and I painted the old wooden brown frame with a little black matte paint which brought it back to life.


The two pictures beside it only cost me $1.00 dollar a piece. They both went well on that wall above the kitchen sink with my bird picture and it is a nice set of pictures to look at while doing dishes.



Next week a look at all my lamps...they are very nice for just a few dollars.
until then keep shopping garage sale style.


3 comments:

  1. sounds fun, I've never done many garage sales but can see there are lots of bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lin, you can find anything imaginable at a garage sale. Try it some time. Most of my broches are garage sale finds also.

    Jocelyn: going through sales is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete